What is Flat Slab?
Flat slab is a two-way reinforced concrete slab that usually does not have beams and girders, and the loads are transferred directly to the supporting concrete columns.
The column tends to punch through the slab in Flat Slabs, which can be treated by three methods:
- Using a drop panel and a column capital in flat slab
- Using a drop panel without a column capital in flat slab
- Using a column capital without drop panel in flat slab
Uses of column heads :
- Shear strength of flat slab is increased by using column heads.
- Column heads reduce the clear or effective span, and therefore, reduce the moment in the flat slab floor
Uses of drop panels :
- Drop panels increase shear strength of flat slab floor.
- Drop panels increase flat slab's negative moment capacity.
- Drop panels reduce deflection by stiffening the flat slabs.
After reading the above article you can answer the following questions:
- What is flat slab?
- How to prevent punching of column in flat slabs?
- What are the uses of column heads in flat slab?
- What are the uses of drop panels in flat slab floor?
- Structural concrete Theory & Design by M. Nadim Hassoun