Since humans learned about building up things and also how to use different sorts of materials, sedimentary rocks were one of the amazing findings that have been discovered during ancient times. The formation of Sedimentary rocks comes in many different forms with different sort of uses and purposes to serve. The major forms are coal, limestone, sandstone, conglomerate, rock salt, and shale. This piece of writing will get you introduced regarding all the details that you should be knowing about the uses of sedimentary rocks as well as the various forms of sedimentary rocks.
The followings are the types of sedimentary rocks:
1. Clastic sedimentary rocks: Clastic sedimentary rocks are made of pieces of pre-existing rocks. The rock fragments can be any size from microscopic clay particles to large boulders. The most common type of clastic sedimentary rock is sandstone, made of sand-sized rock fragments.
2. Chemical sedimentary rocks: Chemical sedimentary rocks are made of minerals that have been precipitated from solution. The minerals in chemical sedimentary rocks form when water evaporates, leaving behind dissolved minerals. The most common type of chemical sedimentary rock is limestone, which is made of the mineral calcite.
3. Organic sedimentary rocks: Organic sedimentary rocks are made of organic material, such as plant or animal remains. The most common type of organic sedimentary rock is coal, which is made of plant remains.
Uses of Sedimentary Rocks
Uses of the major Sedimentary Rocks are discussed below:
Uses of Sandstone
Sandstone is a form of sedimentary rock that is made up of sand. The followings are the uses of Sandstone:
1. Construction of Buildings And Homes
Sandstone is a sturdy and durable material that can be used for construction purposes. It is frequently used in the construction of buildings and homes. Sandstone can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications. It is commonly used as a flooring material, and can also be used for countertops, walls, and other surfaces. Sandstone is also a popular choice for exterior construction projects due to its weather-resistant properties.
2. Construction of Bridges and other Infrastructure
The use of sandstone in the construction of bridges and other infrastructure is a common practice because it is strong and durable. Sandstone is also easy to work with, making it a popular choice for construction projects.
3. Glass Manufacturing
Sandstone can be used in the manufacturing of glass. One of the main ingredients of glass is sand, so sandstone can provide a source of high-quality sand. In addition, sandstone can be used to make glass containers, such as bottles and jars.
4. Ceramic Manufacturing
Sandstone is commonly used in the manufacturing of ceramic tiles. The sandstone is first crushed and then ground to a fine powder. This powder is then mixed with water and other ingredients to form a slurry, which is then fed into a tile-making machine. The sandstone gives the ceramic tile its color and strength.
5. As An Abrasive Material
Sandstone is an excellent abrasive material for use in a variety of applications. It can be used to grind materials, remove paint and other coatings, and cut materials.
Uses of Coal
Coal is a form of sedimentary rock that is formed from the remains of decayed plants. The followings are the uses of cole:
1. Manufacturing of Metal Products
One of the major uses of coal in manufacturing is in the production of steel. Coal is burned to produce heat, which is then used to blast the molten iron out of the coal. This is a very efficient process, and it is one of the main reasons that steel is so durable.
2. Manufacturing of Plastics
There are many ways in which coal can be used in the manufacturing of plastics. One way is to use it as a feedstock for the production of polyolefins. Coal can also be used to produce synthetic rubbers.
3. Manufacturing of Chemicals
Coal is a valuable resource for manufacturing a wide variety of chemicals. Coal is used to produce methanol, ethanol, and gasoline. Coal is also used to make synthetic materials like plastics and fibers.
4. Manufacturing of Electric Power
There are many ways in which coal can be used to produce electric power. Coal can be used to create heat to produce steam, which is then used to turn turbines to create electricity. Coal can also be used to produce electricity by burning it, which creates heat that can be used to generate power.
5. Manufacturing of Heat
Coal is the most common fuel used for generating heat in manufacturing processes. It is used to produce heat for processes such as melting and casting metals, producing steam, and making plastics. Coal is also used to produce electricity.
Uses of Limestone
Limestone is a form of sedimentary rock that is composed of calcium carbonate. The organic formation of limestone occurs from the accumulation of decayed coral, shell, algae, and fecal. The followings are the uses of Limestone:
- Limestone can be used in the production of cement.
- It is used as a flux in the production of iron and steel.
- Limestone is used in the manufacture of refractory bricks.
- It can be used as a filler in the production of paper.
- Limestone is used in the production of glass.
- It can be used in the production of asphalt.
- Limestone is used in the treatment of effluent.
Uses of Conglomerate
The followings are the uses of Conglomerates:
- The Conglomerate is a form of sedimentary rock that is made up of rounded particles with spaces between the pebbles which have chemical cement filled in such as silica, lime, iron oxide, etc.
- It is used in the construction industry mostly because of the variable hardness that it has.
Uses of Rock Salt
The followings are the uses of Rock Salt:
- Rock salt is a chemical sort of sedimentary rock that forms because of the evaporation of ocean or saline lake water.
- Rock salt is commonly used in the chemical industry.
- Rock salt is a great help in terms of treating highways during winter.
Uses of Shale
The followings are the uses of Shale:
- Shale is a classic form of sedimentary rock that is formed from the debris of weathering clay.
- The shale can be broken into thin flat pieces that can be used as a component for the manufacturing of bricks and cement.
To sum up., the formation of different sedimentary rocks occurs in different ways and methods. This is why they differ in terms of the way the rocks look and the uses that they serve. In this article, we have covered the uses of sedimentary rocks that have been practiced throughout the world since the old eras. Till now sedimentary rocks are being used by engineers, architects, and as well as chemists to serve people all around the world.