A lintel is one type of beam which used to support the above wall when openings like doors, windows etc. are necessary to provide a building structure. The main function of the lintel is to take loads coming from above wall and transfer its load to the side walls.
Followings are the purposes of lintel beams:
- to support the walls above the openings like doors, windows, etc.
- to provide a safeguard of the windows and doors.
- to withstand the imposed loads coming from above bricks or block including the roofing members.
- to transfer its load to the side walls.
- Sometimes lintels are used as a decorative architectural element.