A lintel is one type of beam which used to support the above wall when openings like doors, windows etc. are necessary to provide a building structure. The main function of the lintel is to take loads coming from above wall and transfer its load to the side walls.
Followings are the function of lintel beams:
- Lintel supports the walls above the openings like doors, windows, etc.
- Lintels provide a safeguard of the windows and doors.
- Lintel withstands the imposed loads coming from above bricks or block including the roofing members.
- The lintel is used to transfer all imposed loads to the side walls.
- Sometimes lintels are used as a decorative architectural element.