The raft foundation or mat foundation is a very popular type of foundation. Before selecting raft foundation for a project, its advantages and disadvantages must be considered.
Advantages of Raft Foundation
Followings are the advantages of raft foundation:
- Mat foundation can be provided where the shallow foundation is necessary but soil condition is poor.
- It resists differential settlement. • Mat foundation requires less earth excavation.
- Mat foundation itself can be considered as a floor slab. So it reduces the cost of constructing floor slab.
- Distribute loads over a larger area.
Disadvantages of Raft Foundation
Followings are the disadvantages of raft foundation:
- Prone to edge erosion.
- Special measurements are needed when mat foundation is subjected to the concentrated load.
The above limitations of mat foundation can be avoided by taking necessary steps.
- Raft Foundation - When to Use, Types, Construction
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Raft Foundation
- Design & Construction Precautions for Raft Foundation
- Types of Foundation – Pick the Best One for a Project
- What is a Pier Foundation?- Details | Types | Advantages | Location
- What is Caisson Foundation – Mechanism, Types, Construction
Keywords: Advantages of Raft Foundation, Disadvantages of Raft Foundation, Advantages of mat Foundation, Disadvantages of mat Foundation, Raft Advantages, Raft Disadvantages, Raft Foundation Advantages, Raft Foundation Disadvantages, Mat Advantages, Mat Disadvantages,