As a deep foundation system, caisson has some advantages and disadvantages. Before selecting caisson foundation for a project, one must know the advantages and disadvantages. The major advantages and disadvantages of caisson foundation are given below.
Advantages of Caisson Foundation
Followings are the advantages of caisson foundation:
- Caissons are economic.
- It is environment-friendly. There are slightly less sound pollution and reduced vibration.
- It is easily adaptable to varying underwater soil conditions.
- Caisson has high horizontal and lateral loading capacity.
- Minimum handling equipment is required for placement of reinforcement cage.
- It is sometimes used in types of soils where driving pile could not penetrate.
- Caissons can be reached to great depths.
- There is a direct and effortless way to go to the bottom of caissons to remove any kind of obstruction.
- Quality control of pneumatic caisson is good as it is built on dry conditions.
Disadvantages of Caisson Foundation
Followings are the disadvantages of caisson foundation:
- The construction procedure is extremely sensitive and troublesome.
- It is not good for polluted sites.
- It needs expert engineers to design the construction.
- There is lack of qualified workers.
- The workers may suffer from giddiness, breaking of eardrums, bursting of blood vessels in the nose or ears and end up in paralytic death which is known as caisson disease.
- As the pouring of concrete is done underwater, it may not be satisfactory.
- The help of divers may be required.