The full form of MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard.
Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) is an artificial wood product. Wood residuals are used to make an MDF board. It has a large-scale use in furniture making. Therefore to provide a clear understanding of MDF boards, the advantages of MDF and disadvantages of MDF are discussed below.
Advantages of Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF Boards)
There are many MDF advantages. These benefits of MDF have made it very popular around the world. Major advantages of MDF boards are discussed below.
- Medium density fiberboard has economic value to common people as it is cheaper at cost and inexpensive. So, they are within everyone’s reach to purchase.
- MDF saves trees as MDF materials are produced from a recycling process.
- It is easy to take any color where wood takes long tenure for staining different colors
- Medium density fibreboard does not have knots or kinks which disturb the smooth surface.
- MDF is resistant to some insects as some chemicals are used for the processing of MDF.
- It can be painted or stained and given a look just the same as real wood. So, it can replace the place of wood furniture.
- Depiction on MDF sheets is easier than on wood.
- To provide MDF with a look like real wood veneers, laminators may easily be attached to it.
- Solid, dense, flat, stiff MDF wood is a good choice instead of wood.
- Medium density fiberboard board has no grain as it’s not a natural product, it’s easy to cut, and drill without damage.
- It has excellent machining character for its suitable density.
Disadvantages of Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF Boards)
There are some MDF disadvantages. Major disadvantages of MDF boards are discussed below.
- Medium-density fiberboard is comparatively weaker than wood. Furniture made up of MDF doesn’t last long. Though MDF is cheap, it, on the other hand, is a loss of money.
- MDF sheets can crack or split under extreme stress.
- MDF absorbs water more quickly than wood. So MDF wood may swell and everyone has to become conscious of using MDF wood.
- MDF doesn’t take nails and screws easily. During nailing, the fraction may appear around it. Pilot holes should be used while screwing.
- Medium density fibreboard contains VOC, containing urea formaldehyde, that can cause irritation to the lungs and eyes.
- Dust produced during the manufacture of MDF board is very harmful to breathing.
Why is MDF Good? Is MDF wood Good?
In this article, we have presented 11 advantages of MDF wood that make the MDF boards a good choice. Please read those advantages.
Is MDF Durable?
MDF boards are not as durable as timber. The MDF furniture is not long-lasting.
Is MDF Cheap?
MDF board price is less than timber. Therefore, MDF furniture is economic.
keywords: advantages and disadvantages of MDF, MDFadvantages and disadvantages, MDF wood disadvantages, Advantages & Disadvantages of Medium Density Fibreboard, Advantages of Medium Density Fibreboard, disadvantages of Medium Density Fibreboard, fiberboard, MDF advantages, MDF disadvantages, MDF pros and cons, pros and cons of MDF, MDF board disadvantages,MDF fiberboard