Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) is an artificial wood product. Wood residuals are used to make MDF board. It has a large scale use in furniture making. Advantages and disadvantages of Medium Density Fibreboard are discussed below.
Advantages of Medium Density Fiberboard
Followings are the advantages of MDF:
- MDF has economic value to common people as it is cheaper at cost and inexpensive. So, they are within everyone’s reach to purchase.
- MDF saves trees as it is recycling process.
- It is easy to take any color where wood takes long tenure for staining different colors
- MDF does not have knots or kinks which disturbs the smooth surface.
- MDF is resistant to some insects as some chemicals are used for the processing of MDF.
- It can be painted or stained and given a look just the same as real wood. So, it can replace the place of wood furniture.
- Depiction on MDF is easier than on wood.
- To provide MDF a look like real wood veneers, laminators may easily be attached to it.
- The solid, dense, flat, stiff MDF is a good choice instead of wood.
- MDF has no grain as it’s not a natural product, it’s easy to cut, drill without damaging.
- It has excellent machining character for its suitable density.
Disadvantages of Medium Density Fibreboard
Followings are the disadvantages of MDF:
- MDF is comparatively weaker than wood. Furniture made up of MDF don’t last long. Though MDF is cheap, it, on the other hand, is a loss of money.
- MDF can crack or split under extreme stress.
- MDF absorbs water quicker than wood. So MDF may swell and everyone has to become conscious of using MDF.
- MDF doesn’t take nails and screws easily. During nailing, the fraction may appear around it. Pilot holes should be used while screwing.
- MDF contains VOC, containing urea formaldehyde, that can cause irritation to lungs and eyes.
- Dust produced during the manufacture of MDF is very harmful to breathing.
keywords: Advantages of MDF, Disadvantages of MDF, Advantages & Disadvantages of Medium Density Fibreboard, Advantages of Medium Density Fibreboard, disadvantages of Medium Density Fibreboard, fiberboard, MDF advantages, MDF disadvantages