Mortar, a bonding agent between building materials, is mainly a mixture of water, fine aggregate (sand, surki, etc) and binding material like cement, lime etc. The applications of mortar in various construction phase have made it a very important civil engineering material.
Some of the numerous functions of mortar in construction are given below.
- Mortar is used to bind together the bricks or stones in brick or stone masonry.
- It is used to give a soft even bed between different layers of brick or stone masonry for equal distribution of pressure over the bed.
- It is used to fill up the spaces between bricks or stones for making walls tight.
- It is used in concrete as a matrix.
- It is used in plastering works to hide the joints and to improve appearance.
- It is used for molding and ornamental purpose.
Tag: use, mortar, uses of mortar, use of mortar, application of mortar, use of mortar in construction, functions of mortar, mortar function, functions of mortar, mortar functions.