Advantages of Plane Table Survey
Followings are the advantages of plane table surveying
- Plane Table Surveying is most suitable for preparing small‐scale maps.
- Plane Table Survey is a very swift method of surveying.
- The field book is not necessary as plotting is done in the field simultaneously with the field work. So the possible errors of the field book can be avoided.
- The surveyor can compare the plotted work with the actual features of the area surveyed and thus can ascertain if it represents temporarily.
- It is particularly advantageous in magnetic areas where compass survey is not reliable.
- Plane table survey is less costly than most of the surveying technique.
- It does not require skilled hands.
Disadvantages of Plane Table Surveying
Followings are the disadvantages of plane table surveying
- Plane table survey cannot be used in rainy season.
- Plane Table Survey instruments are heavy, cumbersome to carry.
- The table has to be centered and oriented at every station which is really tiresome.
- It never produces accurate results.
- If the survey is to be re‐plotted to a different scale or quantities are to be computed, it is a great inconvenience in absence of the field notes.